Monday, August 31, 2009

Linderman Library


As I was walking to Linderman Library, I realized that a feeling of calm had taken over. I found myself gazing at the tall, green trees and walking slowly down the steps that lead one to the magnificent building Lehigh students are fortunate enough to call their library. When you reach the entrance, two enormous columns welcome you (in an unintimidating manner, of course). After walking through the formal lobbyy, you are hit by the sound of silence. You almost feel bad walking through, hoping you don't disturb anyone's studies. The first thing I noticed about the library was the long tables set up from end to end. I wondered - is this a place to study, or socialize? Considering my thoughts were the loudest sound I could hear, I figured this early in the year, it was the place to study. I noticed the students sitting there; backs bent over their texts, and realized that this was the place to be to get homework done. With gorgeous surroundings and all the resources you could need, what more could one want?

The Rotunda has a different effect then the main library though. Wood is an interesting choice of flooring, considering that with one flip of my sandals, I felt like I was disturbing every person in there. So I could observe the Rotunda, I decided to take a seat. Unfortunately I did not realize that I would be sitting in one of the loudest chairs known to man. One had to sit completely still in order for the quiet atmosphere to remain. As I glanced around the Rotunda, I realized how much work had actually gone into building this magnificent structure. Maybe, some of the thought process involved erecting this place had more to do with its aesthetic appeal than practicality, but it is undoubtedly a great attraction for the university. Letting prospective students know that if you get tired of studying, take a break and just gaze around – Lehigh University is a gorgeous place.

No comments:

Post a Comment